Anybody else tired of thanksgiving turkey yet? If you’re like me and craving something completely different, then try this spinach tomato tortellini recipe. It’s delicious, one of my favorite meals, and also quite easy to make.
You’ll need the following ingredients…
1 pkg (20 oz.) refrigerated three cheese tortellini
3 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp garlic, minced
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp onion powder
1 1/4 cups milk (I use whole milk, but 2% should work too)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 can (14.5 oz.) petite diced tomatoes (undrained)
7oz fresh spinach (I buy the 10oz package, and save the remainder for a salad later)
3 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
2 tsp chopped fresh oregano
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
Red pepper flakes, for serving (optional)
And then follow these steps:
- Cook tortellini according to directions listed on package.
- Meanwhile, in a large and deep skillet or saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic, flour and onion powder and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- While whisking, slowly pour in milk and cream, then whisk until smooth.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture begins barely simmer and thicken, then add tomatoes, spinach, basil, oregano and parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat slightly and cook several minutes longer until sauce has thickened and cheese has melted. Remove from heat.
- Toss cooked and drained tortellini into sauce mixture.
- Serve warm sprinkled with additional parmesan cheese and optional red pepper flakes.