Hi everyone! I haven’t posted a recipe in a long time, but I’ve been stuck at home now for a week, waiting on my daughter after her foot surgery. We can’t really go anywhere to eat these days because she’s not quite mobile enough yet. So I’ve been spending alot of time cooking at home, making all her faves.
And my marinated tomato cucumber salad is one of her faves. I enjoy it too.
It’s most popular as a summer dish around here, but there are no rules at my house when it comes to food. We’ll even eat breakfast for dinner sometimes!
But here’s the recipe if you wanted to try it.
Warning: despite “salad” being in the name, and despite all the vegetables involved, this actually is not a healthy dish at all. I blame all the sugar in it. No wonder my daughter and I love it so much.
4 cucumbers, sliced
1 small onion, sliced
3 tomatoes, sliced
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon black pepper
1) Toss together the cucumbers, onion, and tomatoes in a large bowl.
2) Combine the vinegar, water, sugar, and black pepper in a saucepan over medium heat.
3) Bring to a slow boil, and stir until all the sugar is dissolved.
4) Pour this mixture onto the chopped vegetables. The mixture might not cover the entire batch of chopped vegetables – if not, make sure to toss the vegetables frequently in the next couple of hours to ensure the flavors get absorbed evenly. The first couple hours are most important for this.
5) Refrigerate overnight. Stir occasionally to ensure flavors are well-integrated.
I hope you enjoy it too.
3 Replies to “Marinated Tomato Cucumber Salad”
My mom used to make this salad all the time and I loved it!
My grandma’s been making cucumber in vinegar with ground pepper since forever. Its one of her favourites, simple but tasty.
Ooh this sounds amazing! I’m going to give it a try 😋